The Policy of Joint Agreement:
Never do anything without an enthusiastic agreement between you and your spouse.
Earlier today, I was searching for options to help guide and grow the relationship between Jensen1 and myself. I came across this strategy on marriagebuilders.com. When I read about the Policy of Joint Agreement, I immediate thought about how unpractical this could be for couples where one individual travels. And I admit, I though about how my spouse and myself are such strong personalities and different people. However, the article addresses this concern. The author writes,
"When I first see a couple in marital crisis, they are usually very incompatible. They are living their lives as if the other hardly exists -- making thoughtless decisions regularly because they don't care how the other feels. As a result, when I introduce The Policy of Joint Agreement, it seems almost impossible to follow. They have created a way of life that is based on so many inconsiderate habits that it seems the policy would force them to stop all their activity -- so much of what they do is thoughtless and insensitive.
But once they start to follow the policy, it becomes easier and easier to come to an agreement. As they throw out their thoughtless habits and activities one by one, they replace them with habits and activities that take each other's feelings into account. That's what compatibility is all about -- building a way of life that is comfortable for both spouses. When they create a lifestyle that they each enjoy and appreciate, they build compatibility into their marriages.
But the most powerful incentive for following this policy is that it helps sustain the feeling of love."
Can every decision be shared in a marriage?
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment