Saturday, January 31, 2009

"The Little Old Lady who was not Afraid of Anything"

While going through some old papers today, I found this story written by Eva (must have been kindergarten or first grade). Her words are in BLUE. Enjoy!

"One afternoon a little old lady went for a walk.
In the forest she met two big shoes.
Next she saw a pair of pant and a shirt.
Then she met two gloves and a hat.
Finally she saw a big scary pumpkin.

She ran home and sat in her rocking chair.
Then there was a kn[o]ck at the door."


I know. If you are like me, you have completely identified with this story. The horror of feeling older paired with the nightmare of shopping for shoes and clothes, paired with a healthy fear of orange. But the story doesn't end here...

"The next morning she looked out her window. In her garden the little old lady saw a scarecrow."


Pretty talented, I know. Perhaps a metaphor for taking those things that scare us in the real world, and turning it into something created to protect those things we value. But are you thinking what I am thinking? Who knocked on the door? Was it the scarecrow? Was the scarecrow patient enough to simply wait in the garden all night? I asked the author, but she claims no memory of this story. The mystery of "The Little Old Lady who was not Afraid of Anything," will live on!

Did I mention that the big scary shoes were purple?

From the back cover: "So rede my book."

2 comments:

sdshaw said...

WOW! she is wonderfully creative. Thanks for sharing these things :-)

3 Girl Mommy said...

These are the best things to look back on and read. Love it! Kendal likes to sit and start writing stories, but never ends them. ??